Monday, May 27, 2013

Steak n' Shake: 5/17/13

It is that time again. For this post I decided to go to another fast food restaurant, Steak 'n Shake. Now, I love Steak 'n Shake and I have been going there for many years, so it seemed appropriate to revisit the restaurant to see if they had the best chicken tenders (or in Steak 'n Shake's case "chicken fingers"...I'm simply going to refer to them as chicken tenders) in Charlotte. Here are my findings…

The Steak 'n Shake logo is quite simple and understated.

Batter and crispiness: B
-I had mixed reviews when it came to the batter on these chicken tenders. I thought the ratio of meat to batter was excellent and the tenders were crispy, but the batter was not very flavorful and thus I had to add Steak 'n Shake seasoning to them.

Tenderness and juiciness of chicken: A-
-There was not really anything spectacular of note in this category. The meat was tender except near the ends and it was very juicy for fast food standards.

Portion size/presentation: D+ or A
-Now you may be confused as to why I gave this category 2 grades, but let me explain. Since each chicken tender meal is only $3.99 you obviously do not get a lot of food (3 chicken tenders and 2-3 handfuls of fries), so from the start I knew that would not be enough to satisfy me for dinner and to reheat later. Therefore I gave the single order of chicken tenders a D+. The A comes into play because after I finished my actual dinner I then ordered a second serving of the chicken tender meal for later, so if you take the 2 orders into account, the serving size is very good...especially considering that you only pay $7.98 for 6 tenders and 4-6 handfuls of fries.

Side: B
-I have been going to Steak 'n Shake for years and a relatively new feature to the restaurant's menu is the option to add special seasonings to the french fries for a minimal fee of $0.29. I thought this was an interesting concept, so for my initial chicken tenders order I got the parmesan cheese n' herbs seasonings. As is standard for Steak 'n Shake, the fries were very crispy, which is one reason why I really enjoy them. But I felt as though the seasoning overpowered the fries. For my second order, the one I got for reheating, I ordered the fries with the standard seasoning and just added the Steak 'n Shake seasoning. The Steak 'n Shake seasoning was definitely the better choice of those options because it added the right amount of kick to the fries and they were very tasty.

Here's a picture of the fries with the parmesan cheese n' herb seasoning.

Reheating: B
-I was pleasantly surprised with how well these chicken tenders reheated since they were fast food tenders. The fries tasted pretty much the same as when I first ate them (just not as crispy). When it comes to the actual tenders 2 of them tasted just fine, the meat was still tender even, but the final tender was tough and almost unedible. Hence why I gave the meal a B when it comes to reheating.

Description:
-Chicken Fingers. Three breaded chicken fingers and your choice of honey mustard, BBQ, or buffalo sauce. Served with fries $3.99

One serving of chicken tenders at Steak n' Shake.

Overall I would give the chicken tenders at Steak 'n Shake a B+. The tenders were succulent, made with good cuts of chicken, and the batter was proportionate to the chicken meat. However, the batter did not have much flavor to it and you have to order 2 helpings of the chicken fingers in order for it the meal to be considered satisfying. I will definitely be back for these chicken "fingers," and when I return I'll be sure to order 2 servings and a milkshake (I didn't have one during this visit, but they are delicious) to ensure I leave full.


Until next time,

LB

No comments:

Post a Comment