Friday, June 21, 2013

Ed's Tavern: 6/12/13

For this post I went with Katie and Madison to Ed's Tavern after Katie and I saw The Great Gatsby. We ended up at Ed's Tavern after going to this nearby bar and finding that it was closed, it was after 10 pm by this time. The first thing we noticed when we first walked in was how packed the restaurant was and it turned out that there was song trivia that night (teams had to guess the name and/or artist of different songs within seconds). It was very loud, but that's the risk you take by going to a bar on a late night.

 
Here is the sign for Ed's Tavern. 

Batter and crispiness: B
-These chicken tenders were very crispy, which was great, but I was not a huge fan of the taste and inconsistency of the tenders. Some of the them tasted as if they were slightly burned while other tasted a little spicy. As a result I had difficulty actually determining a score for this section, but I settled on a B because I enjoyed the crispiness of the tenders and one or two of them tasted great.

Tenderness and juiciness of chicken: A
-The chicken was very tender and juicy, especially considering that Ed's Tavern is a bar.

Portion size/presentation: A
-This meal was a very good size for the price. Included in the meal were 5 really big, thick chicken tenders and there was a good portion of fries. Not only that, but I loved the container they were in! In case you cannot tell, the chefs put the fries in a frying basket, so it looks like you get them right out of the fryer.

Side: B+
-Similarly to the chicken tenders, it was hard for me to score the french fries. The positives were that they were thick and hand-cut, which is always a plus and the seasoning was done very well. However, I gave the fries a B+ because they were hard in the middle like they were needed to be cooked just a little bit more.

Reheating: B-
-While I enjoyed this meal when I had it at the restaurant, I had mixed feelings when I reheated it. The first thing I noticed about the meal after reheating was that there was a pool of grease under the fries and tenders, so that tells me that this meal is cooked in a lot of grease...not good. The negatives of the tenders were they were not crispy at all, the batter fell off as soon as I picked them up, and some of the meat turned chewy/hard. The positives were that the meat was still tender and pretty juicy, just not as much as when I originally ate the meal. When it comes to the fries they were soggy, but still tasty.

Description:
-Chicken finger basket - Hand breaded buttermilk chicken tenders. Served with golden fries. $8.50

My meal from Ed's Tavern.

Overall I would give the chicken tenders at Ed's Tavern a B+. The meat was tender and juicy and the portion size was great for the price. While I thought the batter was lacking and the meal did not reheat well, overall I would say this was a solid meal and I would definitely get it again. Maybe next time I go we can even play trivia!

LB

No comments:

Post a Comment